Reindans – Boazodánsa / Dance of the reindeers
By Simone Grøtte and Johanne Eltoft, Norway 2010.
In the middle of the long white landscape, we approach the reindeer herd. I can feel the cold grab my body as i enter the reindeer herding fence. The temperature is below 24 minus degree. The wind is brutal and the landscape offers no shelter. The area where the herd can move has been significantly reduced. Within a diameter of 8 meters the reindeers circle around us, with an enormous force. They push their way through, sometimes , sometimes under the surrounding animals. They throw us out of balance. Climb each other. Gasping for air. I can feel antlers touch my skin. We are pulled into a powerful wave of motion.
The winter 2009, two dancers seized enough courage to enter the middle of a chaotic reindeer herd to dance. This unusual meeting with the reindeer herd and the cold landscape have resulted in the performance Reindans – Boazodánsa. Supported by film recordings from this special encounter, unique lighting and music, the dancers wish to share with the audience their experience in the reindeer herd, and visualize the enormous energy they were driven into.
In Dance of the Reindeers dance is for the first time combined with traditional Sami reindeer herding. The performance seeks to recreate the cold atmosphere that is representative for the Sami, the Nordic and the Arctic sceneries.
Concept / choreography / dance: Simone Grøtte and Johanne Eltoft
Composer: Herman Rundberg
Director of photography: Sveinung Ryan and Victor Enoksen
Lighting design: Tor Ditlevsen
Supported by: The Norwegian Arts Council, Fond for lyd og bilde, Fond for utøvende kunstnere, Finnmark Fylkeskommune, Spenn, Dáiddafoanda and Samerådet.
Tv2 News 10.03.2011
18. February 2013 - Sola Kulturhus, Stavanger
22. January 2012 - Opening of Arctic Frontiers 2012, Tromsø
28 - 29. January 2012 - Nordlysfestivalen, Tromsø
6. November 2011 - Beaivvás Sámi Teáhter, Kautokeino
7. November 2011 - Alta Kultursal
9. November 2011 - Dansefestival Barents, Hammerfest
11. November 2011 - Lakselv kultursal
13. November 2011 - Karasjok kultursal
20. September 2011 - Arena Nord 2011, Polaria opplevelsessenter, Tromsø
9 - 13. March 2011 - Polaria opplevelsessenter, Tromsø
4. March 2011 - Kultur og Næringsgalla, Kulturhuset i Tromsø
1. December 2010 - Showbox 2010, The Black Box Theatre, Oslo
24. July 2010 - Premiere at Riddu Riddu Festival, Kåfjord
Den kulturelle skolesekken (DKS):
19 - 22. February 2013 - DKS Rogaland
6 -15. November 2012 - DKS Troms
23 – 27. January 2012 - DKS Tromsø
8 - 19. November 2011 - DKS Finnmark